Lisa
I forgot I wanted to say this too:

I've been wondering what to do about this issue, with HBO's TV series "Big Love" advertising to show an episode where they show what happens in the endowment ceremony. I've received forwards about it, Facebook group invitations, messages encouraging me to boycott the station, and a number of other things concerning the issue.

Obviously, I'm very sorry that the producers of the series have chosen to broadcast things over national television that are of such a sacred, sensitive nature to over 13 million people worldwide. However, I am grateful for the Church's official statement on the issue, highlighting what the correct response from members is, and describing its official stance on the matter.

Here it is:

"The Publicity Dilemma," LDS Newsroom, lds.org.

Please read it, and let's all keep acting like Christians, regardless of the individual sects of our faiths.
1 Response
  1. Sharon Says:

    I was glad for the official statement as well, and am always struck by the balance of the language in those kinds of documents. If you're a member of the FB group, perhaps you could pass this comment on? I'm still trying to decide what I think about joining it. Of course I don't want any program to air something like that, but the title of the group isn't my favorite: "Stop HBO from..."

    So while I have my ethical dilemma, if you're a member, perhaps you can point out that contrary to what the group says under "Recent News," the Church's official stance does NOT discourage members from boycotting HBO and other Time Warner affiliates. It simply says that such boycotts will not be encouraged or engendered as being any official position from the Church. Actually, the statement seems to confirm that such measures could be effective should they be organized in a grassroots capacity.

    I was bothered by how the administrators of the group didn't seem to realize that and went so far as to make it "Recent News." Sigh.


Post a Comment